Canon EOS 5D Mark III + 24-70mm F2.8 L USM II
22.3 Megapixel Full Frame CMOS sensor
Additional Product Information
Creativity and performance redefined.
Redefining the world of professional photography, the EOS 5D Mark III lets you capture a quality of image you never thought possible. This is a Digital SLR Camera that is built tough, giving you improved resistance to dust and inclement weather, so it can go wherever you go. Its 22.3MP Full Frame CMOS sensor and DiG!C 5+ image processor allows you to capture images in incredible detail, and with its 61-point Auto Focus system, you can find your focus in each and every shot. The camera’s 100% viewfinder coverage lets you evaluate each image before you release the shutter, and with six frames per second you can catch every instant of the action.
Digital, AF/AE single-lens reflex, camera
CF Cards (Type I); Compatible with UDMA CF cards; SD, SDHC, and SDXC Memory Cards
Approx. 36 mm x 24mm (35mm Full-frame)
Canon EF Lenses (excluding EF-S Lenses)
Canon EF mount
High-sensitivity, high-resolution, large single-plate CMOS sensor
Effective pixels: Approx. 22.3 megapixels
Total pixels: 23.4 megapixels
3:2 (Horizontal: Vertical)
Color Filter System
RGB primary color filters
Low Pass Filter
Fixed position in front of the image sensor
Dust Deletion Feature
(1) Self Cleaning Sensor Unit
·Automatic Sensor Cleaning
·Removes dust adhering to the infrared- and ultraviolet-blocking glass.
·Self-cleaning executed automatically when power is turned on or off. Manual execution also possible.
·Low-pass filter has a fluorine coating.
(2) Dust Delete Data acquisition and appending
·The coordinates of the dust adhering to the infrared- and ultraviolet-blocking glass are detected by a test shot and appended to subsequent images.
·The dust coordinate data appended to the image is used by the provided software to automatically erase the dust spots.
(3) Manual cleaning
Design Rule for Camera File System 2.0 and EXIF 2.3
Still Image: JPEG, RAW (14-bit Canon Original), M-RAW, S-RAW, RAW+JPEG, M-RAW+JPEG, S-RAW+JPEG
Video: MOV (Image data: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC; Audio: Linear PCM)
(1) Large: Approx. 22.10 Megapixels (5760 x 3840)
(2) Medium: Approx. 9.80 Megapixels (3840 x 2560)
(3) S1 (Small 1): Approx. 5.50 Megapixels (2880 x 1920)
(4) S2 (Small 2): Approx. 2.50 Megapixels (1920 x 1280)
(5) S3 (Small 3): Approx. 350,000 Pixels (720 x 480)
(6) RAW: Approx. 22.10 Megapixels (5760 x 3840)
(7) M-RAW: Approx. 10.50 Megapixels (3960 x 2640)
(8) S-RAW: Approx. 5.50 Megapixels (2880 x 1920) Exact file sizes depend on the subject, ISO speed, Picture Style, etc.
* Records to either the CF card or SD card.
2. Auto switch card
* When the current card becomes full, the camera switches to the other card automatically.
3. Record separately
* The CF card and SD card record the same image at a different image recording quality (L, M, S1, S2, S3, RAW, M-RAW, S-RAW)
4. Record to multiple
* Both the CF card and SD card record the same image at the same image recording quality. (Also applies to RAW+JPEG, M+JPEG, and SRAW+JPEG)
Images recorded in a card can be copied to the other card
The following three types of file numbers can be set:
(1) Continuous numbering
* The continuous numbering of captured images will continue even after you replace the camera's card. (The numbering continues even when the folder changes.)
(2) Auto reset
* When you replace the camera's card, the numbering will be reset to start from 0001. If the new card already contains images, the numbering will continue from the last recorded image in the card.
(3) Manual reset
* Resets the file number to 0001, and creates a new folder automatically.
RAW + JPEG Simultaneous Recording
The image-recording quality can be selected in any combination of the three RAW and eight JPEG recording quality settings.
Selectable between sRGB and Adobe RGB
Auto, Standard, Portrait, Landscape, Neutral, Faithful, Monochrome, User Defined 1-3
* Scene Intelligent Auto will set [Auto] automatically.
* [Standard] is the default setting for [User Def. 1-3]
(1) Auto (AWB)
(5) Tungsten light
(6) White fluorescent light
(8) Custom (Custom WB)
(9) Color temperature
* With an EX-series Speedlite having the color temperature information transmission feature, the color temperature setting changes to match the color temperature when the flash is fired. Set to approx. 6000K if the flash unit does not have the color temperature communication feature.
Auto White Balance
Auto white balance with the image sensor
Color Temperature Compensation
Blue/amber bias: ±9 levels
· Magenta/green bias: ±9 levels
* Corrected in reference to the current WB mode's color temperature.
Color Temperature Information Transmission
Approx. 100% vertically and horizontally (At approx. 21mm eyepoint)
Approx. 0.71x / Angle of view 34.1° (with 50mm lens at infinity, -1 m-1 (dpt))
Approx. 21mm (At -1m-1 from the eyepiece lens center)
Dioptric Adjustment Correction
-3.0 to +1.0m-1 (diopter)
Quick-return half mirror (transmission: reflectance ratio of 40:60)
AF point, focus confirmation, AF status indicator
Shutter speed, aperture, ISO speed (always displayed), AE lock, exposure level, exposure warning
Flash ready, flash exposure compensation, high-speed sync, FE lock, red-eye reduction light
Highlight tone priority (D+), maximum burst (2-digit display), card information
Grid, electronic level
Displayed if any of the following is set: Monochrome, white balance correction, One-touch recording quality switch, expanded ISO speed, or spot metering.
Depth Of Field Preview
Enabled with Depth-of-field preview button
TTL secondary image - registration, phase detection
61-point (up to 41 cross-type points)
* One to five cross-type AF points at f/2.8, 10 to 20 cross-type AF points at f/4, and 15 to 21 cross-type AF points at f/5.6. (The number of cross-type AF points will differ depending on the lens.)
AF Working Range
EV -2 - 18 (at 73°F/23°C and ISO 100)
·Predictive AI Servo AF
-For automatic AF point selection, the AF point to start the AI Servo AF operation can be selected.
-For automatic AF point selection, the active AF point can be displayed.
·AI Focus AF
-(Switches between One-Shot AF and AI SERVO AF automatically)
-Automatically set in A+ Auto Mode
(2) Manual focus (MF)
AF Point Selection
1. Single-point AF (Manual selection)
2. Auto selection 61-Point AF
3. Single-point Spot AF (Manual selection)
4. AF point expansion (Manual selection, 4 points: Up, down, left, and right)
5. AF point expansion (Manual selection, surrounding 8 points)
6. Zone AF (Manual zone selection)
Selected AF Point Display
Displayed in viewfinder with transparent LCD and on LCD panel
Active AF Point Indicator
AF area used in horizontal/vertical (grip up or down) shooting and the manually-selected AF point position can be set separately
AF Assist Beam
With an EOS-dedicated Speedlite, AF-assist beam is emitted automatically when necessary.
(3) IR AF assist beam only
* No AF-assist beam with flash bursts.
Max. aperture TTL metering with 63-zone SPC with the following selectable modes:
(1) Evaluative metering (linked to all AF points)
(2) Partial metering (center, approx. 7.2% of viewfinder)
(3) Spot metering (center, approx. 1.5% of viewfinder)
·AF point-linked spot metering not provided.
(4) Center-weighted average metering
a. The selectable metering modes can be limited with a Custom Function.
EV 1-20 (at 73°F / 23°C with 50mm f/1.4 lens at ISO 100)
Exposure Control Systems
(1) Scene Intelligent Auto
(2) Program AE (shiftable)
(3) Shutter-priority AE (Safety shift possible)
(4) Aperture-priority AE (Safety shift possible)
(5) Manual exposure
* The metering mode can be specified with a Custom Function.
(7) E-TTL II autoflash program AE
* Evaluative metering, Averaged metering
ISO Speed Range
ISO 100-25600 (in 1/3-stop or whole-stop increments)
·ISO speed expansion possible to ISO 50, 51200, and 102400.
·For [Highlight tone priority], the settable ISO speed range will be 200-25600.
·ISO speed safety shift possible with Custom Function.
Shooting Mode ISO Settings
B ISO 400 fixed
With Flash ISO 400 fixed??If fill flash will result in overexposure, minimum ISO 100 is set.
?For bounce flash, ISO 400-1600 is set automatically depending on the light level.
ISO Speed upper and lower limits:
(1) Manual setting range
* ISO speed expansion is set with this option.
(2) Auto ISO range
* ISO speed expansion not settable.
Shutter speed and automatic ISO speed control in P and Av Modes:
In the P and Av shooting modes with Auto ISO set, the ISO speed is set automatically so that a shutter speed slower than the one set with [Minimum shutter speed] (1/250, 1/125, 1/60, 1/30, 1/15, 1/8, 1/4, 0'5, 1') is not set.
Manual: ±5 stops in 1/3 or 1/2-stop increments
AEB: ±3 stops in 1/3 or 1/2-stop increments
* Indicated up to ±3 stops on the LCD panel and in the viewfinder.
(1) Auto AE lock
·In the One-Shot AF mode with evaluative metering, AE lock takes effect when focus is achieved.
(2) Manual AE lock
·With AE lock button. (AE lock is updated each time you press the button.) Enabled in all metering modes.
Vertical-travel, mechanical, focal-plane shutter with all speeds electronically-controlled
1/8000 to 1/60 sec., X-sync at 1/200 sec.
1/8000 to 30 sec., bulb (Total shutter speed range. Available range varies by shooting mode.)
* Shutter speed's control range can be set with a Custom Function.
Soft-touch electromagnetic release
10-sec. or 2-sec. delay
EOS Dedicated Speedlite
E-TTL II autoflash with all EX Series Speedlites
Zooming to Match Focal Length
Flash Exposure Compensation
±3 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments
External Flash Settings
The camera can set the following with Speedlite 600EX-RT, 580EX II, 430EX II, 320EX, 270EX II, or 270EX:
(1) External flash control
* Flash mode, sync setting, FEB (not possible with 270EX II/270EX), flash exposure compensation, E-TTL II, zoom, wireless master flash (not possible with 430EX II/ 270EX), and clear settings.
* With the Speedlite 600EX-RT, radio wireless control is possible.
(2) Flash Custom Function setting
Provided (no polarity)
Single, High-speed continuous, Low-speed continuous, Silent Single Shooting and Self-timer (10 sec. self-timer/remote control, or 2-sec. self-timer/remote control)
Continuous Shooting Speed
High-speed: Maximum approx. 6 shots/sec.
Low-speed: Maximum approx. 3 shots/sec.
Silent continuous shooting: Maximum approx. 3 shots/sec.
·JPEG Large/Fine: Approx. 65 shots (approx. 16270 shots)
·RAW: Approx. 13 shots (approx. 18 shots)
·RAW+JPEG Large/Fine: Approx. 7 shots (approx. 7 shots)
*Figures are based on Canon's testing standards (ISO 100 and Standard Picture Style) and a 8 GB card.
*Figures in parentheses apply to an UDMA mode 7, 128 GB card based on Canon's testing standards.
Live View Functions
Still photo and video recording
(1) Autofocus (One-Shot AF)
·One-point, contrast AF. Switching to another AF point possible.
·Face detection Live mode
·Face detection, contrast AF. Face selectable.
61-point, phase-difference AF, same as normal shooting.
(2) Manual focus
* Magnify the image by 5x or 10x and focus manually.
Real-time Evaluative metering with the image sensor
Real-time evaluative metering with image sensor:
·Metering range: EV 0 - EV 20 (At 73°F/23°C, 50mm f/1.4 lens, ISO 100)
·AE lock possible
·The active metering time can be changed.
Three grid display provided
Provided (Mode 1 and 2)
MPEG-4 AVC / H.264
Variable (averaged) bit rate
1920 x 1080 (Full HD), 1280 x 720 and 640 x 480
[1920 x 1080]: 30 fps / 25 fps / 24 fps
[1280 x 720]: 60 fps / 50 fps
[640 x 480]: 30 fps / 25 fps
Continuous Shooting Time
Based on 8GB Card:
[1920 x 1080]
30 fps ALL-I: 11 min. (685 MB/min.) / IPB: 32 min (235 MB/min.)
25 fps ALL-I: 11 min (685 MB/min.) / IPB: 32 min. (235 MB/min.)
24 fps ALL-I: 11 min. (685 MB/min.) / IPB: 32 min. (235 MB/min.)
[1280 x 720]
60 fps ALL-I: 12 min. (610 MB/min.) / IPB: 37 min. (205 MB/min.)
50 fps ALL-I: 12 min. (610 MB/min.) / IPB: 37 min. (205 MB/min.)
[640 x 480]
30 fps IPB: 97 min. (78 MB/min.)
25 fps IPB: 97 min. (78 MB/min.)
* If the recording time reaches 29 min. 59 sec., the movie shooting stops automatically.
* Movie shooting does not stop when the file size reaches 4GB.
Same as focusing with Live View shooting
* During movie shooting or if movie cropping has been set, the image cannot be magnified for manual focusing.
·P, Av, and Bulb: Automatically set within ISO 100 - 12800, expandable to H (equivalent to ISO 25600)
·A+ and Tv: Automatically set within ISO 100 - 12800
·M: Auto ISO (automatically set within ISO 100 - 12800), ISO 100 - 12800 set manually (in 1/3- or whole-stop increments), expandable to H (equivalent to ISO 16000/20000/25600)
* If Highlight tone priority is set to enable, the settable ISO speed range will be ISO 200 - 12800.
(1) Program AE for movie shooting
* For shooting modes other than manual exposure and bulb.
* Shutter speed (1/30 - 1/4000 sec., signal accumulation time), aperture, and ISO speed automatically set.
(2) Manual exposure
* For manual exposure.
* Shutter speed (signal accumulation time), aperture, and ISO speed (auto/manual) manually set. The shutter speed (signal accumulation time) is limited to 1/4000 sec. at the maximum and to 1/30 sec. at the minimum for 24/25/30 fps or 1/60 sec. or higher for 50/60 fps.
Up to ±3 stops in 1/3-stop increments
* For movies, even if exposure compensation has been set beyond ±3 stops, exposure compensation up to only ±3 stops will be applied.
* For still photos, exposure compensation up to ±5 stops can be applied.
TFT color, liquid-crystal monitor
Approx. 1.04 million dots
Approx. 170° vertically and horizontally
Auto: Brightness adjusted automatically by the light sensor
* Adjustable to one of three levels: Darker, Standard, Brighter
Manual: Adjustable to one of seven brightness levels
25 (English, German, French, Dutch, Danish, Portuguese, Finnish, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Spanish, Greek, Russian, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Romanian, Ukraine, Turkish, Arabic, Thai, Simplified/Traditional Chinese, Korean, Japanese)
Single image, Single image + Image-recording quality/shooting information, histogram, 4- or 9-image index, magnified view (approx. 1.5x-10x), rotated image (auto/manual), image jump (by 10/100 images, index screen, by shooting date, by folder), two-image comparative display, slide show (all images/selected by date/folder), star rating
With single-image display (Info.) and single-image display, overexposed highlight areas will blink
Image Protection and Erase
Erase protection can be applied or canceled for a single image, all images in a folder or all images in the card
Erase a single image, selected images, all images in a folder, all images in a card or erase only unprotected images
RAW and JPEG images complying to Design rule for Camera File System
·Movies cannot be printed
DPOF: Digital Print Order Format
Version 1.1 compatible
Direct Image Transfer
JPEG and RAW images and movie
For RAW+JPEG, only the RAW or JPEG image or both images can be transferred
13 Custom Functions settable with the camera
Camera User Settings
Current camera settings can be registered to C1, C2 and C3 on the Mode Dial (Automatic registration update is possible)
My Menu Registration
Up to six top-tier menu options and Custom Function settings can be registered
One Battery Pack LP-E6